Just One More Game: A Magical Obsession


I love Magic The Gathering. I played the game pretty obsessivley well over 10 years ago, but until I picked up the game on  XBLA, I haven't played in a very long time.  I understand that the game is a year and a half old, but this game has some serious staying power. With expansion number three coming out recently with three new decks and an expansion of the story mode, my love for this game has resurfaced all over again.

I can't nail exactly why I love Magic other than the fact that it is so damn fun.  Well, at least for former seasoned Magic players who apparently refuse to let their childhood go.  It's like  a game of chess.  There is a lot of strategy involved, such as choosing the right decks, knowing when to use the right cards, and realizing the right time to strike. I love how this is a thnking mans game.

Over the last three days I have been playing more of this game than I care to admit.  The game just reels you in.  I play endlessly so I can earn new cards and reorganize my decks.  Bigger. Faster. Stronger.  This is what goes through my head. I want to embarrass fools online, but it has been me that has been getting handled.

Although Chad has accepted the fact that he will never be at my skill level, I'm not pleased with a measly true skill of 20 I don't like the level 20 cap they have. The game does such an outstanding job of keeping you coming back for more.  I'm not sure if the nostalgia factor is what really does it for me or the obsession of collecting all of the cards.  I'm sure I'll get over this in the next couple of days, you know, once I've reached my boiling point.

When you hear the next podcast and we have nothing to talk about, it's because of this time suck.  So go ahead and mock me, I don't care. I have Planeswalkers to thank for getting me back into the actual card game.  I have found that isn't nearly as entertaining as I remember it being. That probably has more to do with having to remember things that the game does for you. Now the card game has been ruined for me.  For now, I love this game again.  That will change by the end of the week I'm sure.

Leave a Reply