NYCC: Hands-On With Dead Space 2

I don’t even know where to begin with this.  It took me about 45 minutes of solid wait time to get hands-on with the title.  They came in droves out of nowhere thirsting for some play time.  Of course, I’m not complaining (I totally am) no other booth with the exception of maybe the Starcraft tourney was seeing nearly as much action.  I bitched, I moaned, I sighed, and then I smiled.

A booth employee directed me to a claustrophobic space in front of a shwank Samsung LCD, fitted me with equally sexy headphones ,and simply said “enjoy”.  You bet your ass I’m going to enjoy.  I start the game (PS3 version because its apparently sexier?) and it all comes back to me.  The controls feel familiar, secondary fire, stasis, d pad for weapon switch, etc.  As I’m becoming acclimated to the controls, it hits me.  The game is bigger, better, and stronger.

The environments are noticeably diverse, there is more detail on Isaac’s suit, and the world is much more expansive. Well, at least it could be perceived that way. The game looks like it got a significant face lift. I also noticed that the new enemies prove more challenging this time around. These new creatures aren't as simple as one limb, two limb, and doneskie. No, they are much more agile, shoot projectile vomit once they have had their limbs shot off, and will not die easily. The little demonic cherubs were especially terrifying and even more difficult to dispose of.   There seems to be a pack mentality with the enemies, which is very eery.  

Thankfully, the demo offers unlimited ammo and health so that you can complete it without any headache. I still died a few times, but i eventually got the hang of it. The weapons were more or less the same, you have your pistol, line gun, etc. However, the javelin is a fascinating weapon. You essentially impale enemies from across a room and pin them to the wall. This is very awesome and very satisfying to watch.  


There was also a pseudo-boss battle. Similar to the first game, a gigantic beast follows you while you shoot certain key points to get it off your back. The demo was generous in length, it toook me about 40 minutes to complete.  More the enough time whet my appetite with this teasing demo.  Is it January yet?

Related Posts
Games of Horror: Dead Space

Leave a Reply